Definitely a Keeper

Since we rarely eat out due to having a little one and trying to eat healthier, I'm always concocting new little recipes that I think up or see someone else try. Some are worth keeping, and others...well..thank goodness that Johnny eats anything I put in front of him!

I was at the produce market yesterday (my favorite little neighborhood place!) and saw a spaghetti squash. I had once tasted it while I was pregnant and liked it. I was super hungry while I was shopping, so I decided to pick it up and give a go at it. My original intention for dinner tonight was chile verde, but since Benny got sick yesterday I knew I would not be able to put time or effort into it this afternoon. I decided the spaghetti squash was the answer!

Here is what I did!

I cut the squash length wise and removed the guts and seeds. If you've never seen one before, they look a lot like pumpkin in the middle.

After removing the goo, I put each half in pot (cut side down) with about two inches of water, covered and boiled for 20 minutes.

Removed from water then scraped the stringy inside (hence name spaghetti squash) into a bowl with a fork. Save the shell (boat) though! The stringy insides almost taste like a pasta and are fine like angel hair once cooked!

Added 1 small can of tomato sauce, diced raw zucchini (however much or little you like), salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste and a handful of Parmesan cheese. I mixed this all together then scooped back into the boat halves.

Stuck it in the oven for 20 minutes at 350.

While that was baking, I put a boneless chicken breast on the GF with just salt, pepper and a bit of garlic (yes, I know I am probably the only person left who still uses a Foreman). Once cooked, I diced it up and took the boats out of the oven. I put the diced chicken on top of the stringy tomato and zucchini then sprinkled with cheddar cheese. Back in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.

Viola! Dinner was ready.

It took 45 minutes total but only a few to prep.

It was so super duper good, and the BEST part is that a serving has only 500-600 calories And is really good for you!!! My kind of meal! Johnny totally loved it too so I'm adding it to my "regular" meals. I have to say though, this is a perk that being a housewife has offered. I'm not so sure I would dig cooking so much if I had to return to work. So in the meantime, I'll keep experimenting, and you let me know if you try any!

0 comments: