Gripes and Groans

I'm going to take this space as a forum to gripe tonight. But first I must say that Benny is peacfully sleeping at 8 PM tonight! This is rare, but we are going to try something new... I will go into more details in a minute. Beware, this is an extremely long winded blog (yet amusing if I do say myself)!

So, Benny and I went on a normal evening walk tonight. We skipped the beach and headed for the donut shop for a cup of coffee for me of course (it's not appropriate for him at 6 PM) and then to the post office. Anyway, according to the signs along the way, the sidewalk on the side of the road that the donut shop sits was closed for construction so I walked on the opposite side. No big deal although I did have to jay walk..oopsie. I got coffee and Benny got his greeting from his favorite donut shop lady (we are never quite sure what she is saying, but she is always smiling when she speaks so it must be nice!).

We proceeded to the Post Office which is on the same side of the street as the donut shop. Following? If not, go back and re-read... I'll wait for you! Ok, on our way back I decided to cross the street near the post office in order to avoid jay walking again. There were no advance warnings of a sidewalk closure either, so I thought perfect, and we were safe! Oh no. I came up to a sign that said the sidewalk was closed directly on top of the closed portion- right there, closed!! I looked around and my options were to cut through a parking lot and into an alley which I wasn't about to do. I've watched enough crime shows to know that's a no-no. I could have turned around and walked two more blocks backwards which was most logical given my "abide by sidewalk closure sign" options but most inconvenient. My other option was to step into oncoming traffic on Artesia Blvd (the major road on this side of town)and I wasn't going to do that either. Quick thinking led me to move the cones that prevented my passing and walk lightly on the fresh concrete. I even looked behind me to make sure that I had not left traffic marks.

At this time I heard "That's fresh". Duh. I can see this. I shouted back "Well I'm not going to push my baby into oncoming traffic" then more yelling my way..."Thanks for stepping into our concrete", "Can't you see the sidewalk is closed" "There's a sign right there.. can't you read it?" "Are you too lazy to go around?" and more yelling which at this point I wasn't even listening to. I was firing back that if there had been a sign posted BEFORE I got to the closure I would have found a different route and that it's ludacris to expect me to "go around and into traffic". I was so mad that I asked if these guys were city employees. The guy that was doing all the yelling said in I'm sure his most cocky tone "yeah, we work for the city" so I asked his name. He gave me his first, but said it was none of my business when I asked for his last. Hmph. Obviously he didn't expect me to be the person that I am!

I was shaking on the inside. This creep was so threatening. I pushed the stroller out of there as fast as possible as he was beginning to yell again. There were two onlookers who were in disbelief as well. The whole way home I was fuming inside. These are the people that take safety out of our towns and make women afraid to enjoy evening air.

I decided to write to the city manager. My message was short and to the point: this was unacceptable behavior by any city worker who essentially represents the city. Secondly, there should be signs posted that the sidewalk is closed at the beginning of the block. We will see if I get a response. If not, you all know me...I won't give this up. I guess then I'll have to contact my city council member, and then there is the mayor's office. I believe firmly in the chain of command so I will follow it with the newspaper being the highest in command! I'm sure I will get a speedy response! Grrr... talk about killing my night!

Onto other issues! So Benny is asleep early tonight because we are going to try a new schedule! The reason for this is that he is not doing well at the gym Kid's Klub. I know the real reason is more like the person caring for him, but I thought I'd exhaust all other possible excuses for his crankiness before giving her the sole blame.

Last week I was called out of my 8:30 AM spinning class because he would not stop crying. I was reluctant to take him back, but I almost can't bear missing class. I waited the rest of the week out thinking that it could have been attributed to his teething. We went back yesterday. I finished my hour session and when I walked into the Kid's Klub he was crying again. The caregiver proceeded to tell me that Benny is "the worse baby that she has had because she can't get him to stop crying". I didn't take too much offense since I can tell that her vocabulary is limited therefore she probably doesn't know how to express herself wihtout calling him "the worse" (which is improper anyway!). But I was a little annoyed.

In the past this particular caregiver has repetitively asked me to bring him a bottle or a pacifier even after my kind explanations that he takes neither and the reason for his fingers and every other object he can get his little paws on and in his mouth is due to ta-da! TEETHING!!!!! It has occured to me that women who do not parent as I do have a hard time with the notion of not shoving something in the babe's mouth to shut him up! I finally asked if she actually gets on the floor and plays with him!?! What a concept! I have observed her many times with children in her care running around and she is at the counter computer with her back slightly to them. My personal opinion is that there should not be any reason for her to be at the counter unless she is checking someone in..which during the said obeservations the counter was empty. I'm just not sure if I understand how it is that someone who is considered a "caregiver" is unable to get a fresh 9 month old baby to stop crying! He is fed, diapered, rested and in good spirits when I drop him off!

Ok, so I got that off my chest. Back to why Benny is sleeping. So today I took benny "one more time" to the gym. This time was after his morning nap. I chose a light and quick workout. The reason that I went to the gym was more for the idea to see if a time change could do Benny a better favor and he would be in better spirits. To my delight, the caregiver was not working with the kids today!!! The girl that was working was on the floor with a few kids when I walked in. Yay! A real caregiver! When I returned 40 minutes later she told me that Benny was wonderful and had just started to cry a few minutes earlier.

So my question is: did B do well because of the new caregiver actually paying attention to him or was it the change in time frame that left him in a better mood? I'm figuring a combo of both, but I am going to try it again tomorrow. We decided that if Johnny and I start morning runs that perhaps we could change Benny's schedule a bit so he will nap earlier and I don't have to give up my mornings at the gym! I hope this works! We wore him out at the beach this afternoon and I prevented his late afternoon nap in order to get him to sleep early! Whew, this schedule stuff is hectic! I hope you all followed! I know I can get long winded at times..well, pretty much all the time!

And my last gripe is city parking!!! Arggggg..... I have found an entrance to the beach that I love love love but the city of Hermosa Beach makes it virtually impossible for any regular beach lover to afford to enjoy the beach! Most parking areas have a 1 hour limit unless you have a resident's pass. If you find a spot that is more than 1 hour, it is metered with most being a 3 hour time limit, at get this: $1.25 an hour!!!! These are in effect all day and everyday!!

There are two free lots which are 1/2 mile away (I've verified this) from the main beach entrance which is where the pier is, but unless you are willing to walk the distance and get there early enough to find a spot, the lots are pointless. We have been known to jog down to the beach from our house, but jogging and packing all the necessities one with a small child needs for an afternoon afair at the beach is not a very reasonable idea.

I read that the city's number one source of revenue is parking. This includes parking meters, resident passes and tickets. Let me tell you, they hand out tickets on a minute's expiration too. The "meter maid" could be mistaken for Polzi by some Internationals based on their speed and dedication for capturing any parking violator. Tickets are also given on street sweeping days if one is in the way of the great street sweeper. This has baffled me since moving down to Southern California. For a state in such financial crisis, city budgets being slashed along with city furloughs and hiring freezes, is the cost of street sweeping valid? Well, once one sees first hand the little meter maid driving directly in front of the street sweeper and handing out tickets to any vehicle in it's path ($40 bucks a pop if paid on time), it is apparent that the two work together and are a revenue generating force to be reckoned with.

I say all of us locals pay enough in taxes that we should be able to enjoy the beach at a lesser expense than our entire paycheck.. but I am highly doubtful that my complaint (or the other 65000 residents who feel the same) will be considered. I mean really, how else will the free plastic doggy doo-doo bags on the strand or the city's worker (who yells at a mother pushing a baby) salary be funded?

0 comments: