Mixed Feelings

As everyone should know, life in LA is expensive to say the least, and with only one income right now, our lives are on much more of a budget than they were while living in the valley. I understand that this is the price Johnny and I pay for me being a stay at home mom, so please do not take this blog as me complaining about our budget at all. I actually prefer it. Anyway, one of my efforts to reduce cost is to buy staple grocery items (bread. eggs, cereal etc.) at (GASP) Walmart. Now, let me explain: While living in Florida, Walmart was unheard of to me unless it was a total last resort. While living in the valley, I shopped there as least as possible and wholeheartedly believed in shopping at SaveMArt or even Farmers if applicable. I didn't shop at Walmart for the reasons that I hate what they will do to small communities. Yes, I said it. I hate that small businesses are literally shut down by Walmart. I hate that corporate America rapes us and proclaims that they are providing jobs. Yes, providing jobs is true, but at minimum wage and a dead end ahead.

So, (stepping off soapbox)I do however agree that Walmart provides cheaper prices and with the economy in the dumps as it is, expensive LA prices, and one income (as you see, I feel the need to explain, and rightfully so) I looked on the Walmart website for the nearest store (al the while feeling like shit about doing so). To my happiness and dismay, I found that there is not a Walmart within 15 miles of my zipcode. I am glad and feel a sense of relief that I can't ACTUALLY shop there and then feel regret later, but I am actually a little sad that I can't save more money. THIS is the reason that Walmart is evil. I almost need to say nothing else, but I will. Walmart convinces us (ou are probably included) that we NEED them and we actaully do for the sake of price competition. They really do win. But we all know exactly how they do it.. monopolizing.

In the end, i have mixed emotions and will now have to look for an alternative. With milk rices nearly 5 bucks a gallon down here, I hope that the alternative is close!

0 comments: